Friday, May 17, 2013

Speeding Up........


Well, yesterday was blood day.  So was Monday but I had the test in Indy at the Bone Marrow Transplant doctor.  I had gotten 2 units of blood and 1 unit of platelets on Saturday so I knew I would be ok on Monday.  It was, hemoglobin: 8.3 and platelets: 22 (that is kind of high for me).  Both of those numbers were good for me!  Yesterday the numbers were, hemoglobin: 7.8 and platelets: 20!  So I may have made it one week without getting infused!  Very exciting for me.  It has been a while since that has happened.  But, I am at the end of the cycle.  The chemo will start again late next week.

So the whole transplant thing really scares me.  Not sure why, I just have a fluttery stomach when thinking about it.  Of course they were clear about all that will happen and all that can happen.  I'm not sure which of those scare me more!  There is a 50% survival rate for a bone marrow transplant. The process of the transplant itself is going to be unpleasant.

There is a lot to do to prepare for the transplant. Lots of tests to get.  They tested my sister while we were there, and have sent a test kit to my brother. If one of them is a match, it will go very quickly, so they say.  If not, I will be entered into the National Database of donors.  I don't seem to be able to think about it in any constructive way just yet.  It is just so hard to wrap my head around any of this.